With the right kind of epilator, you can forget about painful messy waxing, and fast stubble re-growth from shaving, because Braun’s new Silk-ePil 9 9/980 SkinSpa SensoSmart promises smooth, efficient and long lasting hair removal.
Today, we get close and personal with this latest offering from Braun, in our
Silk-ePil 9 epilator review.
Braun Silk-ePil 9 9/980 SkinSpa SensoSmart Features
- This is Braun’s latest generation of epilator, featuring SensoSmart technology that monitors and guides you through optimal epilation by alerting you if you’re pushing too hard against your skin.
- 40 MicroGrip tweezers are capable of removing hair as short as 0.5 mm. That’s hairs smaller than a grain of sugar.
- New wider head design removes more hair in a single pass.
- The epilator head pivots and adapts to the different shapes and
contours of your body.
- It’s a 100% waterproof and cordless epilator, so you’re able to use it in the bath or shower.
- There are two exfoliating brushes, deep and gentle to remove dead skin cells and prevent ingrown hair.
- A built-in bright LED smart light that helps illuminate the area you are working on, so no hair is left behind.
- A generous selection of 13 extra accessories, including a facial cap, lady shaver, bikini trimmer, deep massage pad, and brushes.
- Our Top Rated Epilator Winner for 2020
The SensoSmart technology allows you to guide the epilator with precision without putting too much pressure on your skin. A red LED warning light tells you if you’re pressing too hard so that you can make adjustments to maximize hair removal with fewer strokes.
This is the first epilator to introduce this sensor technology. We’ve seen these pressure sensors in Braun’s electric toothbrushes. It’s very smart of them to cross this feature over into their top of the line Braun Silk-Epil 9.
Wet and Dry Epilator
This is a cordless wet and dry epilator. It is fully waterproof and can be used under the shower or in a relaxing hot bath. If you are especially sensitive to pain, or want to improve comfort, it’s recommended you use running shower water over the area that you’re epilating.
This is because hot water softens the hairs, making hair removal much easier. The exfoliating brushes too are more effective when used immediately after a hot shower to help remove dead skin cells and lift any small ingrown hairs, leaving your skin and hair ready for perfect epilation.
This Braun Silk-ePil 9 9/980 SkinSpa epilator set works not only for epilation but also as a lady shaver, exfoliator, and as a body massager. There are x13 different accessories, that makes this an effective all-in-one home skin spa and hair removal set.
There is a very useful foil shaver head attachment and separate bikini trimmer – ideal for removing hair from sensitive areas and tidying up on areas you’d prefer to shave smooth.
There are two exfoliating brushes which are interchangeable and oscillate to sweep away dirt and debris from the skin surface. One brush with over 10,000 densely packed blue bristles provides deep exfoliation and another is purple for gentler body exfoliation, for sensitive skin sufferers.
There is also a green body massager pad that is great for treating your skin after a long day. This pad works by sending relaxing vibrations into the skin which helps to improve blood flow and healthy skin appearance.
The tweezers are the most important aspect of an epilator. After all, this is the component that pulls the hairs out – it’s got to be an exceptional piece of machinery. Without tweezers that capture hairs short and long, gripping them tightly, and abundant in number, an epilators performance will be sub-par.
If you look at the standard head of the epilator, you will notice that the tweezers look slightly different. This is because these are MicroGrip tweezers and they are positioned slightly differently than other Braun models.
The Braun Epil 9 epiltor boasts a 40% wider head over it’s predecessor, with 40 improved tweezers which are deeper, longer, and superior at removing hairs. The Braun Epil 5 also has 40 tweezers, but the head is narrower and the tweezers don’t pull quite as well as the Braun Silk-ePil 9.
That’s not to say the Braun Silk-épil 5 should be overlooked. It’s actually a very good value epilator, but if you want the best, stepping up to the top of the range Epil 9 is well worth it.
Braun Silk-ePil 9 Pros and Cons
Below, are the some pros and cons highlighted that you might want to check over.
- Braun is a highly trusted beauty brand. And their Silk-ePil 9 epilator has stood the test of time. This updated 9/980 SkinSpa SensoSmart model has bolstered on additional features to an already great epilator.
- Not just an amazing epilator, but a 4-in-1 package offering an epilator, lady shaver, bikini trimmer, and electric cleansing brushes providing sonic exfoliation.
- Where waxing fails to remove hair shorter than 2 mm, this epilator can remove hair as infinitesimal as 0.5 mm.
- Since the hair is removed directly from the roots, it does not grow back for 3-4 weeks, and when hairs do eventually grow back, they’re much finer, and not stubbly.
- Works wet or dry – pick your preference.
- Pressure sensor and guide light
- Can operate non-stop for 40 minutes before needed a re-charge.
- Dermatologically recommended long lasting hair removal device.
- You know what they say – “you get what you pay for” – which is usually true. The price is slightly on the higher side compared to other products in the market, but you’re paying that little bit extra for a top of the line Braun epilator with all the bells and whistles.
- The device can only be used cordless and not while it is being charged. So if the built in battery runs flat whilst you’re in the process of epilating, then you’ll need to stop and allow some time to charge. However, this situation can be avoided by fully charging after each use.
Braun Silk-ePil 9, Bottom Line…
The Braun Silk-éPil 9 9/980 SkinSpa SensoSmart is an epilator which offers a hassle-free hair removal and skin spa experience.
There are several features that make this an effective device and then do their bit to make it more than just an epilator. And to match your taste, choose between Rose Gold, Pink, and Soft Blue.
If you are looking to buy the perfect epilator, this is the one! In fact, this is our current leading best epilator pick for 2020.